Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Birds and the Bees (and Butterflies and Bats)


I’m the undisputed queen of procrastination. If something doesn’t interest me, I can find hundreds of ways to avoid it. It’s been more than a month since my last blog post, and I know why. I just don’t care very much about the things I’m “supposed” to blog about to market my shop. If I don’t care about what I’m writing, why should you care enough to spend your time reading it? So, from now on I’ll be blogging about whatever interests me at the moment. I can live with being a failure at on-line promotion, but I just can’t accept being boring!

Today’s topic is the birds and the bees. Spring has finally sprung in my little corner of Maryland, as you can see from the exuberance of my crocuses. Today, the first bee of spring bumped against the window where I’m working and reminded me of the terrible problem with the honeybees. In short they’re dying. Or, at least, they’re disappearing. In comparison to other issues the country is facing, like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, high unemployment, home foreclosures, etc., why should we worry about some missing bees? Well, let me tell you …

Many, if not most, of the crops raised in the U.S. are pollinated by so-called “managed bees”. Beekeepers, usually running small family businesses, load their hives onto tractor trailers each spring and travel the country pollinating crops. This has become necessary because, in many areas, intensive agriculture has virtually eliminated the natural habitat needed to sustain local populations of bees and other pollinators.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), first noticed in 2006, is decimating the managed beehives. The bees don’t return home to the hive. The cost to beekeepers has been enormous, with many forced to leave the business. Fewer managed bees result in a higher cost for pollination – a cost which trickles down to us in the form of higher prices at the grocery store. You can Google “Colony Collapse Disorder” for more information on the race to discover the cause of CCD, as well as insights into the human and financial impact of this problem.

For a variety of reasons, including the economy, the green movement, and a general desire to eat more healthy and nutritious foods, many of us will be planting vegetable gardens this year. Our crops will also need to be pollinated, but many of our native pollinators (mainly bees, bats, butterflies, and birds) are suffering from habitat loss and the increased use of toxins in the landscape. Here are some tips for how to make your little piece of the world pollinator friendly and increase the yield of your garden, whether it’s a farm, in your back yard, or on a balcony:

1. Plant a three-season butterfly and bee garden, making sure that there will be some flowering food for pollinators whenever they’re active – those of you in more tropical climates may need to work on a four-season garden.


2. Learn to live with your native pollinators, foregoing bug “zappers”, pesticides, and other means of controlling insects – any measures you take to get rid of pests will also eliminate the many friendly insects that are beneficial to plants and your plants.

3. Encourage pollinators by providing habitat – this can be in the form of some land left to revert to native ground cover and wildflowers, or you can provide shelter and nesting areas designed specifically for the pollinators you want to attract. You can find directions for making your own online, but some wonderful, eco-friendly mason bee boxes, bat houses, and butterfly houses are available at AndrewsReclaimed.1000Markets.com or AndrewsReclaimed.etsy.com.

4. Think about becoming a bee keeper – beekeeping is a “graying” hobby that few younger people are interested in, but it is possible to keep a hive in your suburban backyard (not recommended for apartment dwellers, lol). The bees require some work to maintain, but it can be satisfying to know that your hobby is helping you and your neighbors achieve better producing and more beautiful gardens.

So, that’s what is on my mind today. I hope I've encouraged you to do something this spring to help the bees and other pollinators sharing your little piece of the planet.

And, just so I don’t feel like a complete marketing failure, if you have the time and inclination, take a look at my stuff :-) (RowanTreeStudio.1000Markets.com or RowanTreeStudio.etsy.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment