Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Virtual Renovation Part I - The Background


This is the first in a series of blogs about my journey through the world of online sales, focusing on the creation and almost immediate renovation of my online shops. I can’t promise much in the way of thrills, but it’s highly likely you’ll get to see me take some spills as I make mistakes, try to correct them, and end up making even worse mistakes. Like most of my journeys, this one began with me looking at my husband and saying, “You know, I’ve been thinking …”

It’s important to understand that when I say, “You know, I’ve been thinking …”, the color drains from my husband’s face. He’s learned that, “You know, I’ve been thinking …”, might be followed by something trivial (“… we should have couscous instead of rice for dinner”), something major (“… we should look for a new house”), or something bizarre (“… we should adopt an aardvark and name her Mabel”). I think it’s the wide range of possibilities that makes him shudder. Anyway, this particular time it was, “… I think I should try selling my jewelry online”. At the time I had no idea that this particular journey would require so much of my time and energy. It might have been easier to find and rear an orphaned aardvark.

I quickly realized that I had a lot to learn. But, according to my quick calculations, from kindergarten through grad work, I was in school for about – um, plus 4, carry the two – a gazillion years. So, if I’ve proven anything, it’s that I can learn. Then I figured out that the number of other people selling jewelry online is – hmmm, 6 take away 2 – oddly enough, also a gazillion. To make this work, I would have to learn a LOT. Luckily, there has been an entire welcoming army of other online merchants who have posted helpful information, answered newbie questions, and provided constructive feedback. All of you have my eternal gratitude.

In my next (extremely brief) post, I’ll share everything I’ve learned about graphics. Right now, though, it’s time for Mabel’s bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment